Volunteer Seasonal MSG Information Guide
The Walker Art Center is seeking Volunteer Information Guides to join our volunteer team! Volunteers will provide an enhanced experience to visitors of the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden and will work to create a friendly, welcoming environment, and aid visitors in creating a unique and customized experience. Information Guides augment the Frontline Staff in fulfilling visitors’ needs and providing quality customer service.
Seasonal Minneapolis Sculpture Garden (MSG) Information Guides will be stationed outside in garden from June through September to provide orientation and information to visitors. Volunteers will be supplied with MSG maps and general MSG facts to distribute to guests in addition to information about the Walker Art Center programming. This position requires a 2 shift per month commitment.
Volunteer Seasonal MSG Information Guide (June-September 2017)
Shifts are scheduled Thursday-Sunday during gallery hours.
AVAILABLE SHIFT TIMES
Free First Saturday hours:
- Attend training sessions.These include the initial welcome orientation training on Wednesday, May 3rd 2017 which will provide volunteers with an overview of Walker Art Center including its history, mission, programs and departments as well as an introduction to its architecture and history. There will be a mandatory Information Guide training session also in May (date TBD) that will cover information specific to the Volunteer Information Guide program. Ongoing training opportunities are available continually which provide behind the scenes opportunities to participate in lectures and tours of new exhibitions, programs, and events.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently.While many resources are provided to volunteers , this position requires the ability to be resourceful. Minimally, stay informed on current Walker programming and events by thoroughly reviewing the Walker magazine. Volunteers in this position will primarily work unattended by fellow staff and should be able to engage visitors.
- Provide excellent customer service.Serve as the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden greeters; welcome visitors to the Garden in a friendly and professional manner and thank guests for visiting and invite them to return.
- Provide accurate and appropriate informationto visitors regarding exhibitions, programs and events that may be of interest. Act as an ‘experience planner.’ Direct visitors to resources available, such as printed material, Visitor Services desk, interactive resources, etc., which assist them in navigating their visit. Orient visitors to areas of interest including specific galleries or exhibitions inside the Walker Art Center, Walker shop, restrooms, art lab, McGuire Performing Arts Theater, Walker Cinema or the Esker Grove restaurant, and the FlatPak.
- Serve as an ambassador and advocatefor the Walker and the City of Minneapolis. Answer visitors’ questions regarding nearby amenities such as restroom locations, dining options, mini golf, and Walker programming.
To become a volunteer for this program, you must attend a volunteer orientation and interview before you will be invited to volunteer. Sign up today!