Volunteer Information Guide
The Walker Art Center is seeking Volunteer Information Guides to join our volunteer team. Volunteers will provide an enhanced experience to visitors of the Walker Art Center and will work to create a friendly, welcoming environment, and aid visitors in creating a unique and customized experience.
Information Guides augment the Frontline Staff in fulfilling visitors’ needs and providing quality customer service. This volunteer position will be stationed at an information kiosk inside the Walker. Volunteers will be supplied with information and handouts about Walker and Minneapolis Sculpture Garden facts and programming to distribute and share with guests. This position requires a 2 shift per month commitment.
Volunteer Information Guide (year-round)
Shifts are scheduled Thursday-Sunday during gallery hours.
AVAILABLE SHIFT TIMES
- Attend training sessions. These include the initial welcome orientation training on Wednesday, May 3rd 2017 which will provide volunteers with an overview of Walker Art Center including its history, mission, programs and departments as well as an introduction to its architecture and history. Ongoing training opportunities are available continually which provide behind the scenes opportunities to participate in lectures and tours of new exhibitions, programs, and events.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently. While many resources are provided to volunteers, this position requires the ability to be resourceful. Minimally, stay informed on current Walker programming and events by thoroughly reviewing the Walker magazine. Volunteers in this position will primarily work unattended by fellow staff and should be able to engage visitors.
- Provide excellent customer service. Serve as a Walker greeter; welcome visitors to the Walker in a friendly and professional manner and thank guests for visiting and invite them to return. Assist visitors with special needs, for example, providing gallery stools or wheelchairs if requested.
- Provide accurate and appropriate information to visitors regarding exhibitions, programs and events that may be of interest. Act as an ‘experience planner.’ Direct visitors to resources available, such as printed material, Visitor Services desk, interactive resources, etc., which assist them in navigating their visit. Orient visitors to areas of interest including specific galleries or exhibitions, restaurant, Walker shop, restrooms, art lab, McGuire Performing Arts Theater, Walker Cinema, the Esker Grove restaurant, the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, and the FlatPak.
- Serve as an ambassador and advocate for the Walker and the City of Minneapolis. Answer visitors’ questions regarding nearby amenities.
To become a volunteer for this program, you must attend a volunteer orientation and interview before you will be invited to volunteer. Sign up today!