Machinery Hill has been around for a long time. 20 years to be exact. That’s long time for anything, but especially for a group of individuals who get together week after week to play and create music just because it’s fun.
The band is named after the hill (sort of a hill anyway) at the MN. State Fair where the tractors and farm equipment has been traditionally displayed. I believe there are now more lawn mowers and less tractors and the hill has been renamed “Technology Hill.” The band’s name did not change and remains “Machinery Hill.” Whew!
One of Machinery Hill’s favorite gigs is a Halloween Party thrown almost every year in “The Church of Halloween” over in NE Minneapolis. It is a costume party and three years ago the members of M. Hill dressed up as “The Addams Family.” Bill (he’s responsible for all wind instruments in the band) made a lovely Uncle Fester, complete with a light bulb logo on top of his head. Two years ago the drummer, John Gwinn showed up in a fetching party dress and long flowing wig and was quite a hit. The party has always been a chance to totally rock out and play such Machinery Hill standards as” The Devils in the Kitchen.”
If that isn’t enough information to make you want to venture out and enjoy one of the few warm days we’ve had here in July in Minnesota (tomorrow’s high will be in the mid 80’s) then here are 10 other reasons why you should. Machinery Hill will be playing tomorrow night for our Skyspace/Soundspace concert series. What a scorcher!
1. To hear a variety of musical styles all in one place from one band. That saves travel time.
2. To see how many different times Bill Lee has to switch instruments.
3. The band has been around forever and, if you haven’t seen them by now- you really should.
4. The set will start with the Great Highland Bagpipes.
5. The bagpipe will only play one song.
6. To see how many band members will fit into such a small space.
7. The drummer will be wearing a new shirt.
8. You can brag to your friends that you have discovered an interesting band.
9. The accordion will be in every song!
10. And– most importantly- it’s fun music and should be a good time.